Did you know that a small nursery furniture manufacture based out of California actually gives back with every purchase of one of its cribs? Baby Appleseed Nursery Furniture Company plants 10 trees with the purchase of any of their cribs to the Global ReLeaf Fund and the American Forest Organization. The Global ReLeaf Fund not only plants trees in every state in the United States, but also in 38 other countries. This group goes in after natural disasters such as wildfires and weather events like Hurricane Katrina to help replant the trees in the area effected the worst. Over 100,000 trees have been planted since Baby Appleseed partnered with Global ReLeaf and the American Forest Organization. Take a look at all what all Baby Appleseed has to offer or visit Babysupermarket to see more of the Baby Appleseed Furniture Collections.
Last week, I was doing some research and found this great site. I wanted to share the video and the key points on how to install a rear facing car seat from www.safecar.gov. It is hard as a parent to make sure that your child is safely buckled in its car seat. It is important because if not done correctly, your child can be injured from any kind of accident.
- Place the car seat base in the back seat of the car. Most infant car seat now have bases that are buckled in the car. The reason for this is that you are not constantly buckling your infant car seat the car seat everytime you get in and out of the car. Also parents like to attach their infant car seats to the shopping cart or stroller.
- Carefully thread the seatbelt in the rear-facing belt path. Be aware not to twist the seat belt through.
- Buckle the seat belt.
- Lock the seat belt into place.
- Press firmly on the base to and tighten it into place. The base should not move from side to side or front to back more than an inch.
- Make sure the car seat is installed at the correct recline. Most infant car seats have indicators or adjusters to help you make sure the seat is semi reclined.
- Properly position the harness straps. They should be threaded through right below the babies with no twist in the belts.
- Buckle harness and chest clip. The chest clip should be at armpit level and the harness should be snug against baby. A test is if you pinch extra material between the belt then this is not tight enough.
I found that those were helpful installation points that could help assure babies safety in their travels in their car seat. Follow this link to watch the helpful video or visit our website www.babysupermarket.com for more information about infant car seats.
It’s really hard when you get to this time of year, the question remains the same what is that Must Have Toy for this year.
I have checked with several sites and compared to our Babysupermarket inventory and found 5 toys that have hit one of the the list provided on TheBestToyGuide.com. These are not in any particular order.
- Number one on our list is for a toddler, the Kid-O Bilibo. This toy is an Editor Choice. The Kid-O Bilibo is an imagination play toy that encourages your toddler’s imagination to go wild from wearing it like a hat to spinning around. Anything can be done with the Kid-O Bilibo.
- Melissa and Doug Chunky Puzzles. These are great for toddler’s because the pieces are easy to grasp and they can match the pieces with the pictures on the puzzle board.
- Must have activity toy is for young and old. The Spooner is an activity that says yes you can. Do tricks like a skateboarders, ride a wave-like a surfer, spin out of control or fly down the slopes like you are on a snowboard.
- The Fisher Price Stride To Ride Puppy also is on the a pick list for toddlers. This classic Stride to Ride Puppy offers many activities to find the shape, riding, and 50 different songs.
- Classic toys are alway a Must Have Gift during the holidays. The Fisher Price Rock a Stack is a classic toy for any baby. Baby can use the rings for chewing or grasping in their little hands. Then learning coordination to putting things together and stacking them. This is a must have for babies.
Now we only touched on a few toys that we carry and feel that there are more Must Have Toys for 2012. Help us, what do you think is a Christmas Must Have Toy for 2012. Share your insight on completing the list.
Halloween time is nearing with only 5 more days to purchase or create the safest costume for your little ones. We have researched a few websites and found 5 Tips to Remember when purchasing or creating your little ones trick or treat outfit from the National Safety Council and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Purchase or create a costume that fits. Shoes that are to big and costumes that are to long become potential trip hazards.
- Make sure that costumes are made from flame-resistant material.
- Use washable face paint instead of mask, so that your child’s vision isn’t compromised.
- Pick brightly colored costumes or use reflective tape so motorist can see them.
- Make sure accessories such have knives, and swords are short, soft and flexible.
Babysupermarket.com hopes everyone has a fun but safe Halloween.
Don’t Forget to Shop www.BabySupermarket.com for all your costumes and accessories.
How to Buy the Best Baby Crib Mattress
Babies spend up to 70% of the time sleeping or playing on their crib mattresses, which means your baby’s mattress is the very most important purchase you will make for the nursery. Babies’ bodies develop while they sleep so it is crucial to have a mattress that provides plenty of support for their soft, growing bones. SIDS(Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) is a growing concern and parents must know the facts to provide baby with a healthy, peaceful, safe sleep environment. Advice from the experts: purchase the crib mattress of the highest quality that your budget can handle. The crib mattress is something your child will use from infancy through the toddler years and is definitely not the item on which to settle for the bargain brand. Keep reading to find out why.
Here are the basic concepts to learn about:
- Outer Surface
Wouldn’t it make sense for crib mattress size to be standard, one size fits all? Unfortunately, not all mattresses fit perfectly into today’s standard sized cribs. However, a Perfect fit is imperative for your child’s safety, preventing baby from getting an arm, leg or whole body stuck between mattress and crib rail. The mattress should be a snug fit, in which no more than two fingers can fit between the mattress and the crib sides and corners. To determine what crib mattress size to buy for a crib, measure the dimensions on the inside of the crib rails. Most mattresses come in standard sizes but some manufacturers offer custom orders.
The ideal crib mattress has a firm, flat, even surface that is comfortable and durable. The most important of these features is firmness. A mattress too soft creates the risk of suffocation if the baby rolls over onto a surface with insufficient airflow. Consumer Reports states, “Press on the mattress in the center and at the edges. It should snap back readily and should not conform to the shape of your hand.” There are some double-sided mattresses with one extra firm side for an infant and the other softer side for a toddler. While this is ideal, it not absolutely necessary. Again, stick to what your budget will allow.
The mattress core can be made of many different materials and knowing what’s out there is important, as some contain harmful toxins and chemicals. At a basic level, mattresses can be made with foam or innersprings and the choice really only depends on parent preferences. Foam is lightweight and makes changing sheets easier, however, make sure the foam is high density for firmness and high quality for durability. Innerspring coils, on the other hand, are made of steel and therefore heavier, yet durable. The ideal innerspring mattress has the highest number of coils available, made with the highest gauge (thickness) steel. The more coils, the better the weight distribution, but the gauge of the steel is still important for an even, flat, supportive surface. Whatever you choose, make sure the materials used are not harmful.
There are many things to think about when considering the outer surface of the mattress. These can be made of numerous materials, some of which may contain chemicals and toxins and are potentially harmful to baby. Ideally, you want the covering material (as well as all mattress materials) to be durable, non-allergenic, sanitary (antibacterial, antimicrobial), with safe seams to eliminate dust mites and other unwanted guests, waterproof, fire retardant (yet chemical and toxin free), easy to clean, smooth and comfortable.
As always, safety is our #1 concern for our children. There are currently no mattresses or materials that eliminate or cause SIDS, however, there are steps to take to prevent it. Check out www.firstcandle.org for more information about SIDS. Don’t forget, the firmer the mattress, the safer it is. Experts recommend that parents should not use second hand mattresses, so find a design that is safety certified, yet practical for your budget. Babysupermarket.com is a great place to start your search for the best baby crib mattress, with frequent deals on quality products. Facebook followers and email subscribers are also rewarded exclusive deals, so be sure to check it out! Here are some safety resources you may find useful:
Questions or comments? We want to hear them, leave us a reply!
Are you looking to buy a double stroller to accommodate an expanding family? Well, you should know going in: there are TOO MANY OPTIONS. You should not dive in unprepared or you will end up completely overwhelmed and end up looking like the stroller monster in the picture below! Double strollers are more than a purchase; they’re an investment and, therefore, a big decision.
Here are a few steps to walk through before swiping your credit card.
- Do your research
- Before you shop: Make a List of Needs
- Consider family plans & budget
- Choose a style
- Select optional features
- Shop & Purchase
- Stroll Safely
Once you dive in, you will really understand that the possibilities are endless in finding the best double stroller to fit your needs. Doing your research beforehand can make all the difference in your purchase. Ask friends, family members, even strangers about their experiences and their double stroller recommendations. Ask for tips about questions you wouldn’t have thought of, features they hated/loved/would pay extra money to have. Read blogs, watch product videos, search recalls and testimonials. Does a certain brand have more recalls than others? How severe are the problems causing the recalls? There’s a big difference in a recall due to a plastic logo falling off and in a recall due to tipping hazards or faulty breaks. Knowing this information beforehand can save you time and regrets in the future.
2. MAKE A LIST
Determine and define how you are going to use the stroller and what features are important to you. Obviously, safety is every parent’s #1 priority but you’ve done your recall research and know what brands provide quality products. When thinking about how you plan to use this double stroller, think about where you’ll be taking it. For example: to the grocery store, to the mall, on a plane, on a bus, to Disneyland, on sidewalks only, to the Grand Canyon or only when you absolutely must. Think functionality: maneuvering the width of grocery aisles, how much weight you can handle lifting, how quick/easy you’ll need folding the stroller to be, the size of your trunk or if the stroller is easily cleaned. Make a list of your needs for the functionality of your double stroller.
3. FAMILY PLANS & BUDGET
Think about your investment in and commitment to this double stroller purchase in relation to your family. How old are your children? Should your double stroller be newborn baby friendly, where the seat must recline to be completely flat? If you foresee the family expanding in the near future, you should consider a stroller that can be used from birth to 4 or 5 years and provide room to grow with your family. This is a big purchase and not one you will want to pay for more than once, so choosing one that will fit your family needs now and in the future is a wise decision. At this time, look at the family budget and decide the price range you can afford to pay for your double baby stroller. Check out websites that have bargain prices plus great customer service, a benefit that is more important than you think!
4. CHOOSE A STYLE
There are 3 main styles of double strollers: side-by-side (twin) strollers, front and back (tandem) strollers & sit and stand (tandem) strollers. It seems like the first choice to make is whether you’d like a double stroller that is long or wide. Side by side strollers are often used for twins or kids of similar weights. A pro for twin strollers is the ability of riders to entertain each other or find entertainment in whatever is in front of them. A con is the width. The grocery store and doorframes come to mind here. On the other hand, tandem styles may maneuver well but present the front/back seat issue. If seats are level, the backseat rider will most definitely face a “bump your head or be bored dilemma”…most often that little one will lean his or her head over the side to take in the view and end up taking a nice bump on the head. In some double stroller options, stadium seating is available. Lastly, the sit and stand double strollers are good for families with children of different ages and often can accommodate children from infancy to youth. For instance, if you have an infant as well as a child old enough to walk on his or her own, this stroller style gives the older child a place to ride when walking gets tiring. There are many other styles, but these are the main three to choose from. The next section provides examples of options for parents with more specific needs and/or interests.
5. SELECT OPTIONAL FEATURES NEEDED/DESIRED
There are endless options to enhance the convenience and/or comfort of your double baby stroller, and this section provides only a brief list of some that are available. Here are available options to consider:
- Car seat compatibility/included for one or both children, which creates a complete travel system
- Reclining positions to accommodate newborns, as required by law
- Folding ability and weight of strollers: easy, quick, compact, or flat folding may be needed or a light weight for easy handling
- Ease of cleaning and care: removable, washable pads; machine washable
- Joggers & All-Terrains: swivel wheels, air filled tires, bumper bars, tire pumps, stroller netting (to keep mosquitoes away)
- Canopies, Baskets & Storage: size and placement are important for folding and assembly – ex: are canopies easy to open, fold, attach and remove? Does it have a canopy for each child? Is there enough storage to carry necessities for you and the babies?
- Adjustable handles & Footrests: does handle adjust to comfortably accommodate both parents’ heights? Are there footrests for both children? Keep in mind that footrests can complicate folding.
6. SHOP & PURCHASE
As you know by now, the options are limitless so you have to take your time in making this big investment. A tip to keep in mind: always read the warnings on boxes, descroptions and in instructions. This could include information about weight distribution or another issue that could restrict use of the stroller and, therefore, create a deal breaker for purchasing that stroller. If you’re shopping on a budget, decide what features are worth paying a bit extra for and which are unnecessarily expensive. You can find great deals at Babysupermarket.com and receive additional savings if you join the email list and become a fan of the Facebook page. Weekly email blasts send out product information and sale alerts, while Facebook fans receive exclusive deals every week on Fan Friday. If what you’re looking for isn’t listed on Babysupermarket.com, call the store and speak to the knowledgeable staff…they always try to accommodate customer needs.
7. STROLL SAFELY
Here are stroller safety tips from the Juvenile Products Manufacturer’s Association:
- Check for adjustments on a stroller that reduces the size of seat openings in the front to prevent your baby from falling out when seat back is reclined into the flat position.
- Choose a carriage or stroller that has a base wide enough to prevent tipping, even when your baby leans over the side.
- If the stroller seat adjusts to a reclining position, make sure the carriage or stroller doesn’t tip backwards when the child lies down.
- ALWAYS secure the baby by using the restraint straps.
- Don’t hang pocketbooks or shopping bags over the handles of the carriage or stroller. If your stroller has a shopping basket for carrying packages, it should be low on the back of the stroller or directly over the rear wheels.
- Use the locking device on any stroller to prevent accidental folding.
- Apply the brakes to limit rotation of the wheels when stroller is stationary.
- When you fold or unfold the stroller, keep the baby’s hands away from the areas that could pinch tiny fingers.
These tips are listed on the JPMA website. For other JPMA safety resources for parents visit: http://www.jpma.org/content/parents/safety-resources.
Hopefully these tips help you in your search for the best double baby stroller for your family! Got comments, questions or advice about double strollers? Share them by replying below – we look forward to hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!